Overcoming obstacles

If you are reading this post, I’m sure that you have run into an obstacle that was or is difficult to overcome. I can’t even count the ones anymore that I have faced in my lifetime that I either had to overcome or give up on.  For the most part I’ve learned with the help of the Lord to overcome them. I’m not saying that it’s easy to do, but it is possible.
I’m thinking of a verse that may help: “ Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

One thing is for sure, we will face obstacles – that’s just life! It is how we handle them that really counts in the long-run. Whether there is a problem with your spouse, or your children, or a church member, or perhaps an illness or death, or maybe it has to do with your business or job; whatever your obstacle is, there is help for a child of God!
I had been working in a ministry in Germany for many years and I ran into several obstacles, but the one I’m thinking of almost made me want to quit. Thank the Lord that I had a very good friend whom I could confide in, knowing that it would stay between us and the Lord. I traveled to Austria where my friend lived and spent a few days there with her. We had great fellowship, we prayed together, we sang songs together and played our instruments and then Johanna suggested to me that we would take a hike up one of the mountains. This was in Austria, in the alps, and I was in my 40’s at the time. The next day we started out, and at first the going was pretty good, but soon we started to go up. Johanna was always in front of me guiding me and cheering me on. She took me on a path that wound up the side of the mountain where I could only see the next bend, but not the whole way. Had I seen the whole way up the mountain, I would have told her that there is no way I can do this!  About half way up the mountain, I wanted to quit, since I was breathing very  hard and my legs felt like jello! Johanna pointed out to me how far we had already come and when I looked back down into the valley it began to dawn on me that this was more than just a trip up the mountain! The Lord was using my dear friend to teach me some valuable life lessons here.  Everything was green and lush in the valley and grew. It made me think of the song “The Lilly of the Valley.” We took a brief rest, and then kept going.  (Hebrews ch. 4:1-5 talks about entering into his rest)  She then pointed out that the higher we went the less people we saw. After a while we came to a spot that was extremely narrow, and the drop down was very steep! Johanna told me not to look down, not to step on any small rocks, but to put my feet on solid ground and to lean into the mountain! :) I not only leaned into the mountain, I held on to it and walked very slowly, and before I knew it I made it across that narrow pass. Are you familiar with the song “Leaning on the everlasting arms”?
Soon after that we came to the last stretch of the climb. When I looked up, I saw a path that went straight up to the top. I told my friend that there was no way I could make it, but she just laughed and cheered me on and told me to put my face down, not to look up, and to  put one foot in front of the other and go! The amazing thing was that I did exactly that and it seemed that I got a second wind although I think the Lord was merciful and asked my guardian angel to give me a little push :) Johanna was already on the top when I finally made it. It was an amazing sight up there, and I would have jumped for joy, but my legs wouldn’t let me jump :) so we rejoiced together in God’s beautiful creation.  As I looked around I noticed that what grew up there were only some rare flowers and  few trees that were all bent over from the storms they withstood. It was a wonderful lesson for me and I thank God that I had/have such a wise friend.
We didn’t stay very long on the top, but I surely will never forget that trip up the mountain with my dear friend who was more than “just” a friend, but my mentor who taught me some valuable life lessons!  Needless to say I stayed in the ministry until the Lord opened the door for me to return to the States years later. Johanna was a blessing to me and helped me in her wise way to overcome my obstacle!
Are you familiar with this song?”  I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back”
I hope that this story has been a blessing and help to you, for this is my purpose in telling it. Friends are a wonderful blessing from the Lord and we need to treasure and appreciate them.
I am facing several obstacles right now, a personal one as well as more than one with my business online. However, when I think of my mountain trip it helps and encourages me to just keep going, not to quit, but to persevere!